Friday, August 22, 2008

A LOOK AT SENATOR MCCAIN

In a prior entry about Senator Obama, Kate (katerh99) left a comment asking if I would do a “mirror image” on Senator McCain. It was a great suggestion (thank you, Kate!), so voters can see how Senator McCain stacks up on the same issue.  So, here we go!  As I can’t do it in one entry, I’ll make several, interspersed with my series on party platforms along with other items as they arise.  The first topic I’ve chosen is Senator McCain’s position on abortion.

 

Senator McCain has been very consistent with his position on abortion.  Senator McCain is opposed to abortion and believes that ROE vs. WADE should be repealed, but he understands that if it this was done immediately, there would be many women who would turn to illegal and dangerous operations to have abortions performed.

 

There has been a misquote from 1999 by the left claiming Senator McCain “flip-flopped” on this issue.  This is being used, possibly by the Obama campaign although I haven’t seen it, to try to insinuate that Senator McCain is wishy-washy on his abortion position.  Here is something from ON THE ISSUES website that was originally an interview on MEET THE PRESS: MEET THE CANDIDATES 2007.

 

Q: In 1999, you said, "In the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe vs. Wade, which would then force X number of women in American to undergo illegal and dangerous operations."

A (Senator McCain): That was in the context of conversation about having to change the culture of America as regards to this issue. I have stated time after time after time that Roe v. Wade was a bad decision, that I support the rights of the unborn.

Q: If Roe v. Wade was overturned during a McCain presidency, and individual states chose to ban abortion, would you be concerned that, as you said, X number of women in America would undergo illegal and dangerous operations?

A (Senator McCain): No, I would hope that X women in America would bring those children into life in this world, and that I could do whatever I could to assist them. Again, that conversation from 1999, so often quoted, was in the context of my concerns about changing the culture in America to understand the importance of the rights of the unborn.

Source: Meet the Press: 2007 "Meet the Candidates" series May 13, 2007

 

 

Here is a video clip with Senator McCain as aired on CNN:


Tags: ,

 

 

 

 

website design company guide
website statistics and web analytics

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dirk- Iknow McCain has always been strong against abortion, stem cells however is another life issue that he's not been very strong on.  Thank you though- as I know you will be as informatve on J. McCain as  with every thing else you've written!  Thank yoU! God Bless!  Carolyn

Anonymous said...

dear Dirk,
interesting entry!
Thank you very much for your warm comment on teammanship on my journal!
I really thought it was interesting!
I think we do need more help with teammanship with the youth.
I think that it would be more apropo to our current economic crisis if the candidates discussed theri economic plans for getting mor people hired and perhaps where needed immediate help for people who need heating oil or companies who need energy that they cannot cover wihtout laying off massive amounts of people. Shcool buses alos have not be given wiggles room by our states for the high price of gasoline.
natalie

Anonymous said...

Good Post, Dirk!

When teaching Finance or most anything else-- you take a piece of paper and draw a big "T" and write all the things 'pro and con' about the issue.    If the 'Pro's' out weigh the 'Con's ' on the issue -- you know which one to pick !

For my personal Constitutional and Bible back ground, Sen. McCain comes in number one in:   2nd and 1st Amendments Rights, Pro Life, strong Defense, strong economy and Energy policies,  marriage is:  One Man and One Woman ,etc, etc, etc.

And that's the way I see it.

Tom Schuckman
Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

NO WAY IN HELL WILL I EVER VOTE REPUBLICAN.  This dude does not even know how MANY homes he owns. Give me a break!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this.  
Lisa